Tuesday, February 27, 2007

No means...

From Yahoo we read about a t-shirt at Bluenotes that reads "No means have aNOther drink" that is being pulled from stores after complaints from anti-violence groups.

What's weird about this is I remember seeing that t-shirt at the store and having 2 simultaneous thoughts: "ha-ha, that's a funny play on words" and "hmm, it's not funny to joke about a serious subject like rape. This shirt could encourage someone to take a 'No' less then seriously."

I'm a bit confused about which thought disturbs me more. I normally would recommend free speech regardless of how offensive the speech is. But does this message teach young boys/men that this concept is ok? Then again, we shouldn't rely on t-shirt logos to educate our children on serious subjects.

I'm not sure where to draw the line. I do know that I like this idea:

The retailer is proposing to create a line of T-shirts in collaboration with the Canadian Federation of Students and donate a portion of the proceeds to the federation.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like with most things in life, I think there is a time and place. These 'slogan' T-shirts can be very funny sometimes (see T-Shirt Hell), but I think people have to consider what the message is and where they want to broadcast that message.

A lot of these shirts are funny among friends and peers of the same age group, but might not be appropriate for general consumption.

On a side-note, I read a study a while back that said guys who wear these slogan T's on a date have less 'success' than guys who dress up a bit. Most girls were turned off by the T's, especially if the date was in public.